Tile Wizards Stores can assist you in calculating tile quantities – Just ask us!
Calculating tile quantities often seems harder than it actually is. In fact, it’s probably one of the easiest jobs when renovating or building a new home, but somehow, it seems to give a lot of people headaches! Worry no more – we have these easy tips to help you calculate the right amount of tiles for your job.
The flat areas of walls and floors to be tiled are usually calculated in square metres. The formula for this calculation is:
Length x Breadth OR Length x Height
Here’s an embedded Flooring Tile Calculator that you can use. However, it only gives an estimate of the quantity of tiles you will be needing for the area and does not take into account the gaps between tiles and other allowances that should be considered.
To make it easier, it is generally better to divide the area to be tiled into square or rectangle sections and calculate each individually, and adding them together to obtain the total number of square metres required. We find it’s best to measure out your areas rather than trusting measurements given to you on the plan.
Border and Skirting Tiles
These types of tiles are usually calculated by the lineal metre and then converted into the number of pieces required and then into square metres once you know which tile size you will be using for the project. Ask a tile representative who will be happy to convert your Lineal Meters into Square Meters.
Tile quality take-offs should always be carefully calculated and double checked as availability of additional stock cannot be guaranteed, or if available, may vary in shade. This can cause a major problem if a job is incomplete and quantities have been under supplied.
When calculating tile quantities, it is always wise to:
- Record all calculations so that any workings out can be checked.
- Allow 10% extra quantities than actually measured to cover for any wastage and cutting.
- Allow a minimum of 1 square metre to be kept by the purchaser for any future repairs and/or renovations as you will never be able to get the same shade if you choose to renovate in the future.
- If you are planning on renovating over a long period of time, it would be best to allow 15% wastage on your tiles to make sure that you have allowed enough to complete your project.
Tip: Buy adhesives, grouts and spacers at the same time you buy your tiles.
In any case, you can always visit a local Tile Wizards store near you and ask our flooring specialists to help you out with calculating tile quantities for your project.
Tile Wizards stores are located across Australia, in and around:
- Sunshine Coast QLD (Tile Wizards in Bokarina)
- Coffs Harbour NSW (Tile Wizards in Coffs Harbour)
- Adelaide SA (Tile Wizards in Lonsdale, Para Hills West, and Richmond)
- Brisbane QLD (Tile Wizards in Brendale, Capalaba, Springwood, and Toowoomba)
Find your nearest local Tile Wizards store – HERE
See our wide range of Tile Products – HERE