Finding the Floor Covering That Matches Your Style
When deciding on the flooring for your home, there are a number of steps to consider finding your perfect match. We have compiled a list of 8 steps to help you with the process.
1. Decide on your budget
- Low-price range: there are plenty of great laminate flooring products for those on a tight budget, and these products are quite easy to install yourself, so you can save again on installation costs.
You can also consider tile flooring such as porcelain as it’s a very cost-effective option that combines beauty with durability. However, tile flooring requires a much more labour-intensive installation.
- Mid-price range: There’s quite a great variety in the mid-price range, and Tile Wizards do offer great quality products that will suit. From carpet, timber-look flooring, and of course tiles, you will definitely be able to find something you like that also suits your budget.
- High-price range: With a generous budget, it’s important to make sure you are getting really high-quality products. When you are spending a great amount of money on flooring, it’s highly recommended that you get qualified and experienced professionals to install your flooring and make sure your purchased products look their absolute best.
2. Consider where the flooring is being installed
- High moisture rooms: If you are looking at flooring for high moisture areas such as the bathroom, laundry or kitchen, you will need to look at ceramic or porcelain tile or vinyl tile as its suited for high moisture environments.
- Low moisture rooms: If moisture is not a limiting factor, all other types of flooring may still be considered and you can continue to the next step.
3. Do you have pets or children?
- Ceramic or glazed porcelain tiles: as tiles are durable, easy to clean, and can handle high foot traffic areas.
- Laminate: can be water resistant with certain styles.
- Vinyl: is a good option and the thicker it is; the more traffic it will be able to bear.
- Carpets: are a possible choice. You might like to read our blog, ‘Carpets and Pets? How to make it work’ to see its benefits.
4. What is the style of your home?
- Light floors: can help make a room feel more spacious as well as lighten it up.
- Mid-tones floors: can add warmth
- Dark-tones can help create the right mood you are trying to achieve for a room – dark carpets are great for a TV or media room, for example.
5. Get some samples
Natural colours are easier to match with furniture and will look great as your style changes throughout the years. A simple tip is to get some samples and see how each colour looks in the room at different times of the day.
6. Are you concerned with how much maintenance flooring will require?
- Vinyl flooring: along with it being a popular choice for moisture-prone areas, vinyl is easy to clean and has a softer underfoot compared to tiles.
- Laminate: although it requires a special cleaning method, it is a low maintenance option for dry areas.
- Ceramic Tiles: Easy to clean and nearly maintenance free
- Porcelain tile: can give a nice stone look and is much easier to maintain than marble, which is porous and has to be resealed regularly.
7. Measure your floor space
- Vinyl: is sold in a variety of widths and thicknesses and is also available as loose-lay planks and self-stick tiles.
- Glazed porcelain tile: is durable and is available in a wide range of sizes, textures and colours.
8. Contact your retailer
Once you have decided on the type of flooring you would like for your home or perhaps you have more questions, come visit one of our stores and talk to our specialists.
Tile Wizards stores are located across Australia, in and around:
- Sunshine Coast QLD (Tile Wizards in Bokarina)
- Coffs Harbour NSW (Tile Wizards in Coffs Harbour)
- Adelaide SA (Tile Wizards in Lonsdale, Para Hills West, and Richmond)
- Brisbane QLD (Tile Wizards in Brendale, Capalaba, Springwood, and Toowoomba)
Find your nearest local Tile Wizards store – HERE