Tips on Using Terracotta Tiles in Your Design
Terracotta-look tiles are the epitome of old world charm meeting, modern functionality due to their beautiful warm hues and relatively easy maintenance. Yet, regularly here at Tile Wizards we see customers seem almost terrified of terracotta as a possible design option for their next project. Even though these tiles, when applied correctly can create a homely, comfortable and warm atmosphere that is superior to any other tiled flooring option on the market; and the best news is that they are significantly cheaper than other tiling options as well!
Consider Area Size
Firstly, when deciding to apply terracotta tones to your new design layout, remember to consider the size of the area in which you are planning to tile. Terracotta is best suited to large living spaces such as the lounge room, kitchen, large entrance ways and patios as the flooring can be contrasted with natural lighting from windows, surrounding painted areas or with a contrasting colour tile border (a Tile Wizards favourite).
Another handy tip in overcoming terracotta terror is to take a minimalist approach to the design process. This can be achieved through ensuring that the patterns on your furniture, curtains and other interest pieces such as pillows are either avoided or kept to a minimum. A better option is to select solid colours for your furnishings which provide contrast to the terracotta tones of the flooring without making the space feel ‘busy’. This will create an elegantly unique and understated space which will be the envy of your neighbours and a haven for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
Still stuck? We’re here to help…
See how the look you’re trying to complete with terracotta is best achieved:
- The rustic look? Try natural leather as it is connected to terracotta by tone and also in its pastoral, simple look. Sleek, black furniture with minimalist details will ‘pop’ off terracotta, forming an eclectic mix.
- Something different? Construct an airy, farmhouse-meets-city heaven with pure- or creamy-white seating, tables and shelving.
- Inspired from the past? Wide Madrid armchairs, rattan furniture and antiques (within the same colour palette) on terracotta flooring offer convincing ‘Old World’ charm, which will not date.
- Mediterranean elegance? Try combing interesting pieces, such as a leather-wrapped, ornate-wood stools trimmed in decorative, vintage-looking nail heads; jewel-tone-painted inexpensive wood furniture; and boldly coloured, fabric-covered dining room seats and an accent chair with natural distressed-wood arms and legs. Seating with lush, velvety texture softens the impact of stone-like materials.
And don’t forget, one of our favourite terracotta style trends – the coastal! Team Terracotta with rattan furniture, whitewashed tv cabinets and vivid blues for a trendy, comfortable beach house vibe.
At Tile Wizards, we stock Terracotta-look tiles, which is easier to maintain and is better quality tile. Go over to one of our stores near you and check out our tile products. Happy terracotta decorating!
Tile Wizards stores are located across Australia, in and around:
- Sunshine Coast QLD (Tile Wizards in Bokarina)
- Coffs Harbour NSW (Tile Wizards in Coffs Harbour)
- Adelaide SA (Tile Wizards in Lonsdale, Para Hills West, and Richmond)
- Brisbane QLD (Tile Wizards in Brendale, Capalaba, Springwood, and Toowoomba)
Find your nearest local Tile Wizards store – HERE