Tips On How To Properly Take Care Of Your Laminate Flooring
You’ve decided to go with the affordability, durability, and easy installation of laminate; you know you’ve made a great flooring choice. But now that it’s installed and looking great, you need to know how to take proper care of it.
Industry Guidelines For Cleaning Laminate Floors
If you follow these industry acknowledged guidelines the task of maintaining your flooring will become a regular function in the overall upkeep of the property. If you’re unsure regarding any of these steps, please consult with your flooring retailer for additional advice.
- Sweep floor regularly with an electrostatic broom, soft bristled broom or wood floor mop. Making sure to sweep in the direction in which the boards were installed, doing so allows you to pick up any debris that may be in between the grooves of the laminated flooring boards.
- Alternatively, you could use a non-abrasive soft bristled vacuum head. Regular sweeping helps prevent scratches from forming.
- Make sure you clean spills and dirt quickly, as liquids can damage your floors and cause stains. Soak up excess liquids with a dry cloth. Dampen a cloth or sponge before spot-cleaning the location of the spill to remove any remaining residue. Dry the spot with a soft dry cloth.
- Only if necessary, clean with a well wrung out mop with warm water and a PH neutral floor cleaner. Laminate floor cleaning solutions are available from reputable flooring retailers. Consult instructions before use. Never use conventional household cleaning solutions as these may damage the Laminate coating.
A few other things you can do to keep your flooring looking as good as the day it was installed.
- Place mats at exterior and interior doors to trap sand and grit from incoming traffic.
- Use a rug or matt in high traffic areas
- Stick soft pads to the base of furnishings in contact with the floor
- Keep pets claws properly trimmed to avoid excess scratches
- Place drip pans under indoor plants to avoid water leakage
If you follow these simple steps your laminated flooring will look beautiful for years to come.
For more professional laminate flooring advice and tips, get in touch with one of our staff, or come and visit any Tile Wizards stores near you (around Brisbane, Adelaide, Sunshine Coast, and in Coffs Harbour) where you can also browse through our range of laminate flooring in-store.