Thinking of buying new carpet flooring? here are the pros and cons of installing it yourself and hiring a professional
Carpet installation can be a bit scary – whether you’re afraid of making a mistake when cutting and placing carpet, hence losing your product warranty, or your fear is related to prices of professional carpet installation, at Tile Wizards, we understand you. We know there are many pros and cons to both DIY and professional installation, but we believe it comes down to four things: the number of rooms you need done, the shape of the rooms, the type of carpet you’ve purchased, and your experience with carpet installation.
Don’t be fooled by how much money you could save by DIYing, because if you have no previous experience, are carpeting multiple rooms, including stairs, and have products that are not owner-friendly, the chances of you messing it all up and end up spending a fortune to fix it are huge.
However, if you are still wanting to do it yourself, there are some carpet options, like carpet tiles, that still look great and come in a wide range of colour options and are an easy-to-install product, like the Capital Square Carpet Tile.
- Get it done whenever you want to – don’t have to fit into installer’s schedule
- You control your results
- Mistakes can be costly and delay your project – manufacturers won’t replace carpets that have already been cut. Also, when installing carpet over separate padding, you need to ensure it is properly stretched, as inadequate stretching could cause wrinkles upon installation.
- When you hire a professional, they will take care of removing and correctly disposing of old carpets. If you choose to DIY, you will need to pay dumping fees, and should also consider hiring a ute.
- Experience – you can trust that a professional carpet installer has done the job before, so no matter how many tricky corners or steps you want carpeted, the job will get done.
- Warranty – All manufacturers’ honour warranties if you get carpets installed professionally, and even when they don’t, most installers will provide you with a service guarantee.
- You need to work with their schedule – might not be done exactly when you want it done
Whether you decide to DIY or hire a professional carpet installation team, our team at Tile Wizards can help. We can provide carpet installation if you require it, and we can also give you some DIY tips when you buy carpet from us. Have a look at our full carpet range, and come over to one of our stores when you are ready to purchase.
Tile Wizards stores are located across Australia, in and around:
- Sunshine Coast QLD (Tile Wizards in Bokarina)
- Coffs Harbour NSW (Tile Wizards in Coffs Harbour)
- Adelaide SA (Tile Wizards in Lonsdale, Para Hills West, and Richmond)
- Brisbane QLD (Tile Wizards in Brendale, Capalaba, and Springwood)
We hope to see you soon!