If you want to go with the comfort of carpet, here are a few tips to help you select the perfect product for your project
Carpets are the most comfortable flooring option, and the best for asthma and allergy sufferers, however, incorporating it to the overall interior design of your home can be a difficult task. There are many decisions to make, including the style, pattern, material quality and colour, and the best options will always depend on what look you are after and what room you are renovating.
Berber carpeting, in contrast, is crafted from continuous fibre loops and is flat and dense. Berber is extremely durable and doesn’t show tracks, soil and stains – perfect for high-traffic areas, or places frequented by kids.
Textured carpeting is made from fibres cut to different heights, which causes them to reflect light. This makes it difficult to see tracks and dirt.
Friezes are a cut-pile carpet made from slightly twisted fibres. The carpet feels soft on your feet, yet its fuzziness hides footprints and dirt well.
To read more about each of these styles and to understand all about them, see our “Guide for selecting carpet”.
There are four main materials: Nylon, Wool, Polyester and Polypropylene (Olefin).
- Nylon is the most durable and easily maintained. This is a good choice if you want your carpet to last a decade or longer, for high-traffic areas, and in homes with kids and pets.
- Wool is the most luxurious material, extremely comfortable, very stain resistant, has excellent pile crushing resistance, and is the best material for allergy and asthma sufferers. It is also biodegradable as it is a natural fibre. It can be very pricey though.
- Polyester is stain resistant, very soft and luxurious underfoot, and is available in deep and vibrant colours. However, it’s harder to clean, tends to shed and isn’t as durable as nylon.
- Polypropylene (Olefin) is an attractive, inexpensive fibre that’s strong and resists fading, but it’s not as resilient as nylon.
Neutrals such as beiges, creams, and charcoals are colours that are versatile and work in any room with a wide range of wall and furniture colours. Neutral colours can be interpreted as calming or dull, and give you lots of options with other design aspects.
If your carpet is primarily lighter in colour it will make the room feel more spacious, airy and less cluttered.
Darker, multicoloured, and patterned carpets are especially effective at hiding soiling compared to solid shade, lighter carpets.
Bright coloured carpets suit more lively areas of the home and contemporary décors such as family rooms, playrooms, and children’s’ rooms. However, too much of any colour can affect the temperature and mood of a room, create unwanted emotions.
Whilst taking all of this into consideration, don’t forget about your budget. Tile Wizards have a wide range of carpets that will suit your home and budget.
Visit any Tile Wizards store near you and talk to one of our specialists for expert advice and tips on different carpet products, colours and design options. Also, see our range of carpet products in-store.
We have stores located across Australia, in and around:
- Sunshine Coast QLD (Tile Wizards in Bokarina)
- Coffs Harbour NSW (Tile Wizards in Coffs Harbour)
- Adelaide SA (Tile Wizards in Lonsdale, Para Hills West, and Richmond)
- Brisbane QLD (Tile Wizards in Springwood)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO READ:
Wool and Acrylic are two of the most widely used materials in carpets today, and knowing their differences is important to be able to select the most suitable carpet to use in your home or office. Tile Wizards explains the pros and cons of both wool and synthetic carpets to help you choose the best carpet for you…READ MORE